- Bovine theriogenology
- MSc candidate
- Supervisor: Dr. Dinesh Dadarwal, Large Animal Clinical Sciences
- Home community: Sri Lanka
Dr. Gobikrushanth graduated from the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka in 2010. Following graduation, he worked as a companion animal clinician in the university's Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences for a year.
In 2012, Dr. Gobikrushanth moved to Gainesville, Florida, to pursue a veterinary externship program in farm animal reproduction and medicine services at the University of Florida.
Dr. Gobikrushanth recently completed his PhD degree in animal science and then undertook a one-year postdoctoral appointment with a focus on dairy reproduction at the University of Alberta. Dr. Gobikrushanth works as a clinical resident in bovine theriogenology at the WCVM, University of Saskatchewan.
- BVSc, University of Peradeniya, 2010
- Veterinary Externship, University of Florida, 2013
- PhD, University of Alberta, 2018
Dr. Gobikrushanth's research focus is on the uterine microbiome of postpartum dairy cows.
- Gobikrushanth M, Purfield DC, Rojas Canadas E, Herlihy MM, Kenneally J, Murray M, Kearney FJ, Colazo MG, Ambrose DJ, Butler ST. 2019. Anti-Müllerian hormone in grazing dairy cows: Identification of factors affecting plasma concentration, relationship with phenotypic fertility, and genome-wide associations. Journal of Dairy Science. In press
- Macmillan K, Gobikrushanth M, Sanz A, Bignell D, Boender G, Macrae L, Mapletoft RJ, Colazo MG. 2019. Comparison of the effects of two shortened timed-AI protocols on pregnancy per AI in beef cattle. Theriogenology 142:85-91.
- Gobikrushanth M, Macmillan K, Behrouzi A, Hoff B, Colazo MG. 2019. The factors associated with postpartum body condition score change and its relationship with serum analytes, milk production and reproductive performance in dairy cows. Livestock Science 228:151-160.
- Rojas Canadas E, Gobikrushanth M, Fernandez P, Kenneally J, Lonergan P, and Butler ST. 2019. Alternative strategies to treat anestrous cows and its implication on reproductive performance in pasture-based seasonal calving herds: a pilot study. Theriogenology 127:130-136.
- Dutra PA, Barbosa LP, Cardoso Neto BM, Gobikrushanth M, Barbosa AM, and Pinto LFB. 2019. Flaxseed improves embryo production in Boer goats. Theriogenology 127:26-31.
- Gobikrushanth M, Bruinjé TC, Colazo MG, Ambrose DJ, and Butler ST. 2019. The relationship between ano-genital distance and fertility, and genome wide associations for ano-genital distance in Irish Holstein Friesian cows. Journal of Dairy Science 102:1702-1711.
- Bruinjé TC, Colazo MG, Ribeiro ES, Gobikrushanth M, and Ambrose DJ. 2019. Using in-line milk progesterone data to characterize parameters of luteal activity and their association with fertility in Holstein cows. Journal of Dairy Science 102:780-798.
- Gobikrushanth M, Purfield DC, Colazo MG, Wang Z, Butler ST, and Ambrose DJ. 2018. The relationship between serum insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) concentration and reproductive performance, and genome wide associations for serum IGF-I in Holstein dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science 101:9154-9167.
- Gobikrushanth M, Purfield DC, Colazo MG, Butler ST, Wang Z, and Ambrose DJ. 2018. The relationship between serum anti-Müllerian hormone (AMH) concentrations and fertility, and genome wide associations for AMH in Holstein dairy cows – Journal of Dairy Science 101:7563-7574.
- Gobikrushanth M, Bruinjé TC, Colazo MG, Butler ST, and Ambrose DJ. 2017. Characterization of ano-genital distance and its relationship to fertility in Canadian Holstein cows. Journal of Dairy Science100:9815-9823.
- Gobikrushanth M, Dutra PA, Bruinjé TC, Colazo MG, Butler ST, and Ambrose DJ. 2017. Characterization of the variability and repeatability of gonadotropin releasing hormone-induced luteinizing hormone responses in dairy cows within a synchronized ovulation protocol. Journal of Dairy Science 100:6753-6762.
- Bruinjé TC, Gobikrushanth M, Colazo MG, and Ambrose DJ. 2017. Dynamics of preand post-insemination progesterone profiles and insemination outcomes determined by an in-line milk analysis system in primiparous and multiparous Canadian Holstein cows. Theriogenology 102:147-153.
- McMillan K, López Helguera I, Behrouzi A, Gobikrushanth M, Hoff B, and Colazo MG. 2017. Accuracy of a cow-side test for quantification of blood BHBA and glucose in lactating dairy cows. Research in Veterinary Science 115:327-331.
- Bruinjé TC, Colazo MG, Gobikrushanth M, and Ambrose DJ. 2017. Relationship between commencement and frequency of early postpartum luteal activity, parity and insemination outcomes based on in-line milk progesterone profiles in Canadian Holstein cows. Theriogenology 100:32-41.
- Gobikrushanth M, Dutra PA, Bruinjé TC, Colazo MG, Butler ST, and Ambrose DJ. 2017. The repeatability of antral follicle counts and anti-Müllerian hormone concentrations determined at an unknown stage of follicular growth and an expected day of follicular wave emergence in dairy cows. Theriogenology 92:90-94.
- Gobikrushanth M, Salehi R, Ambrose DJ, and Colazo MG. 2016. Categorization of endometritis and its association with ovarian follicular growth and ovulation, reproductive performance, dry matter intake, and milk yield in dairy cattle. Theriogenology 86:1842–1849.
- Salehi R, Colazo MG, Gobikrushanth M, Basu U, and Ambrose DJ. 2016. Effects of prepartum oilseed supplements on subclinical endometritis, pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokine transcripts in endometrial cells and postpartum ovarian function in dairy cows. Reproduction, Fertility and Development 29:747-758.
- Subramaniam E, Colazo MG, Gobikrushanth M, Sun YQ, Ruiz-Sanchez AL, PonceBarajas P, Oba M, and Ambrose DJ. 2016. Effects of reducing dietary starch content by replacing barley grain with wheat dried distillers grains plus solubles in dairy cow rations on ovarian function. Journal of Dairy Science 99:2762-2774.
- Jeon SJ, Vieira-Neto A, Gobikrushanth M, Daetz R, Mingoti RD, Parize ACB, Freitas SL, Da Costa ANL, Bicalho RC, Lima S, Jeong KC, and Galvão KN. 2015. Uterine microbiota from calving until establishment of metritis in dairy cows. Applied Environmental Microbiology 81:6324-6332.
- Thangavelu G, Gobikrushanth M, Colazo MG, and Ambrose DJ. 2015. Pregnancy per AI and pregnancy loss in lactating dairy cows of a single herd following timed artificial insemination or insemination at detected estrus. Canadian Journal of Animal Science 95:383-388.
- Ambrose DJ, Gobikrushanth M, Zuidhof S, and Kastelic JP. 2015. Low-dose natural prostaglandin F2α (dinoprost) at timed insemination improves conception rate in dairy cattle. Theriogenology 83:529-534.
- Gobikrushanth M, De Vries A, Risco CA, Santos JEP, and Galvão KN. 2014. Effect of delayed breeding during the summer on profitability of dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science 97:4236-4246.
- Bittar JHJ, Piñedo PJ, Risco CA, Santos JEP, Thatcher WW, Hencken KE, Croyle S, Gobikrushanth M, Barbosa CC, Vieira-Neto A, and Galvão KN. 2014. Inducing ovulation early postpartum influences uterine health and fertility in dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science 97:3558-3569.