- Medical imaging
Dr. Greg Starrak is a board-certified specialist in medical imaging who is a member of the WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre's medical imaging team.
Originally from Moose Jaw, Sask., Dr. Starrak received his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree from the Western College of Veterinary Medicine (WCVM) in 1981. Dr. Starrak spent a number of years in equine practice before moving to Raleigh, N.C., in 1993 to enrol in the three-year radiology residency program at North Carolina State University.
After completing his residency in 1996, Dr. Starrak spent one year as a faculty member at Cornell University. In 1997, he returned to Vancouver, B.C., to become head of diagnostic imaging as well as a partner at Canada West Veterinary Specialists — one of the largest veterinary specialty hospitals in Canada.
Due to a strong interest in teaching and respect for his alma mater, Dr. Starrak returned to the WCVM in 2012 as an associate professor of diagnostic imaging.
- DVM, University of Saskatchewan (1981)
- Residency in Medical Imaging, North Carolina State University (1996)
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Radiology
- Holly VL, Zwicker LA, Starrak G, Leis ML, Bauer BS, Osinchuk S, Sandmeyer LS, Grahn BH. Odontogenic parakeratinized cyst resulting in exophthalmos and palatine, maxillary, and zygomatic bone erosion in a dog. Vet Ophthalmol. 2017 Dec 18
- Darbellay J, Cox B, Lai K, Delgado-Ortega M, Wheler C, Wilson D, Walker S, Starrak G, Hockley D, Huang Y, Mutwiri G, Potter A, Gilmour M, Safronetz D, Gerdts V, Karniychuk U. Corrigendum to "Zika Virus Causes Persistent Infection in Porcine Conceptuses and May Impair Health in Offspring". EBioMedicine. 2017 Nov;25:187
- Darbellay J, Cox B, Lai K, Delgado-Ortega M, Wheler C, Wilson D, Walker S, Starrak G, Hockley D, Huang Y, Mutwiri G, Potter A, Gilmour M, Safronetz D, Gerdts V, Karniychuk U. Zika Virus Causes Persistent Infection in Porcine Conceptuses and may Impair Health in Offspring.EBioMedicine. 2017 Nov;25:73-86
- Caudal V, Snead EC, Starrak GS, Sathya S, Feng CX. Computed tomographic assessment of a new nonsurgical sinus trephination technique using a medical bone marrow drill. Can J Vet Res. 2017 Jan;81(1):53-58.
- Dobak TP, Starrak G, Linn K, Snead EC. Imperforated cor triatriatum dexter in a dog with concurrent caudal vena cava wall mineralization. Acta Vet Scand. 2017 Jan 3;59(1):3.
- Hung GC, Gaunt MC, Rubin JE, Starrak GS, Sakals SA. Quantification and characterization of pleural fluid in healthy dogs with thoracostomy tubes. Am J Vet Res. 2016 Dec;77(12):1387-1391.
- Leis ML, Dodd MU, Starrak G, Vermette CJ, Gomis S, Bauer BS, Sandmeyer LS, Schwean-Lardner K, Classen HL, Grahn BH. Effect of prolonged photoperiod on ocular tissues of domestic turkeys. Vet Ophthalmol. 2017 May;20(3):232-241
- Lemetayer JD, Snead EC, Starrak GS, Wagner BA. Multiple liver abscesses in a dog secondary to the liver fluke Metorchis conjunctus treated by percutaneous transhepatic drainage and alcoholization.Can Vet J. 2016 Jun;57(6):605-9
- Duran MC, Starrak G, Dickinson R, Montgomery J. Peritoneal fluid immunocytochemistry used for the diagnosis of a possible case of equine gastrointestinal B-cell lymphoma. Can Vet J. 2016 Jun;57(6):601-4