|Université de Montréal has more than 10,000 employees and is one of Canada's Top 100 Employers.
UdeM has Canada's 2nd largest student body and ranks among the top five Canadian universities in research, receiving more than half a billion dollars in research funding every year.
Through the achievements of the members of its community, UdeM participates in building today’s and tomorrow’s world
Assistant or Associate Professor in Equine Surgery
Département de sciences cliniques, Faculté de médecine vétérinaire
The Faculté de médecine vétérinaire (FMV) of the Université de Montréal is currently seeking qualified candidates for an Assistant or Associate Professor position in Equine Surgery. The FMV is located in Saint-Hyacinthe, the agricultural capital of Quebec with 57 000 inhabitants. The FMV is located 60 km (37 miles) from Montreal, a vibrant city with an international airport and excellent flight connections to Europe and the USA. The FMV is also within easy reach of the beautiful, historic Quebec City and Ottawa, the capital of Canada. The FMV is located off campus, but maintains strong collaborative ties to other faculties at the Université de Montréal and other universities within the province. A structured mentorship program is available for newly hired professors.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic team composed of 2 professors, 2 clinicians, 3 technicians, 3 residents and several graduate students (interns, master’s and doctoral students). The equine hospital of the Université de Montréal is the busiest referral practice in the region and receives cases from Quebec and the neighbouring states/provinces. The equine hospital has 3 surgery suites (1 for standing surgery and 2 for surgery under general anesthesia), a lameness breezeway with a force plate and a treadmill, a covered arena, a fully equipped imaging service (1.5 Tesla MRI, digital radiography, fluoroscopy, several ultrasound machines, a nuclear medicine unit and a helical computed tomography), overground endoscopy, 40 box stalls, including an intensive care unit, and advanced orthopedic (a new arthroscopic tower, needle arthroscopy, fracture repair equipment, etc.) laparoscopic and advanced dentistry equipment.
As a professor, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the excellence of the Faculté de médecine vétérinaire:
Through your teaching and your research activities, enhancing the reputation of your discipline and playing an active role in the overall operations of a renowned institution. As such, you will:
- Participate in didactic teaching of Equine Surgery to undergraduate and graduate students;
- Participate in clinical teaching of the Equine Surgery Service to DVM students and graduate students
(including interns and residents);
- Develop research activities in Equine Surgery. The service has a strong clinical research program and
several opportunities for collaboration exist for new professors;
- Contribute to outreach activities within the field (publications, conferences and others);
- Contribute to the overall operations of the University.
- Contribute to the after hours, holiday and weekend emergency duties according to the conditions established by the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vétérinaire (CHUV).
To succeed in this role, you must have the following qualifications:
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or equivalent degree;
- Have successfully completed a residency in Equine Surgery and be a diplomate of the American College
of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS);
- Candidates diplomate from the European College of Veterinary Surgeons (ECVS) and applications from
board-eligible individuals will be considered;
- Being a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation (ACVSMR)
is considered an asset;
- Strong interest in teaching, clinical service and research;
- M.Sc. or equivalent research experience; Ph.D. is considered an asset;
- Hold or be eligible to obtain a license to practice veterinary medicine in the province of Quebec (Canada) issued by the Ordre des médecins vétérinaires du Québec;
- Adequate knowledge of the French written and spoken language or a strong commitment to mastering the proficiency level required, in accordance with Université de Montréal’s Language Policy. An institutional learning support program is offered to all professors wishing to learn French or improve their communication skills.
How to submit your application
All candidates are asked to submit a letter of intent detailing their research interests and career objectives, as well as their curriculum vitae, a copy of their diplomas, and the full name and contact information (phone numbers, email, postal address) of 3 referees. Applications should be sent to:
Dr. André Desrochers
Chair, Department of Clinical Sciences
Faculté de médecine vétérinaire, Université de Montréal
3200, rue Sicotte, St-Hyacinthe (QC) J2S 2M2
Phone: 450-773-8521 ext. 8297
Additional information about the position
|Reference number||FMV 04-21/4_2|
Until June 26th, 2021 inclusively
Applications received after the deadline might be considered if no other timely applications meet the requirements.
|Salary||Université de Montréal offers competitive salaries and a full range of benefits|
|Starting date||As of September 1st, 2021, or according to candidate’s availability|
Université de Montréal is strongly committed to fostering diversity and inclusion. Through its Equal Access Employment Program, UdeM invites applications from women, Aboriginal people, visible and ethnic minorities, as well as persons with disabilities. We will –confidentially – adapt our recruitment mechanisms to the specific needs of people with disabilities who request it. We also welcome applications from candidates of all orientations and sexual identities. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadians and permanent residents.
Université de Montréal’s application process allows all members of the Professor’s Assembly to review the application files submitted. If you wish to keep your application confidential until the shortlist is established, please mention it in your application