- Equine neurosurgical (head, neck and back), airway and orthopedic surgery
- BSc (High Honours), Microbiology and Immunology, University of Saskatchewan (USask) — 2002
- DVM (Distinction), Western College of Veterinary Medicine, USask — 2006
- Equine internship, Arizona Equine Medical and Surgical Center, Gilbert, Ariz. — 2007
- MVetSc, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, USask — 2010
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons (Large Animal) — 2011
Dr. Chris Bell is originally from Airdrie, Alta., where he grew up with horses. Dr. Bell has a BSc degree (high honours) in microbiology and immunology from the University of Saskatchewan and a DVM degree (with distinction) from the Western College of Veterinary Medicine (WCVM).
After graduating from the WCVM, Dr. Bell completed a one-year clinical internship at Arizona Equine Medical and Surgical Center before completing a three-year equine surgical residency-Master of Veterinary Sciences degree program at the WCVM.
Dr. Bell is a board-certified equine surgeon and adjunct professor of equine surgery and sports medicine at the WCVM. Dr. Bell holds several positions with the Manitoba Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA) and is a council member of the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) as well as chair of the Emerging Leaders program for CVMA. Dr. Bell is a member of the Red River College’s registered veterinary technology (RVT) program advisory committee and sits on the Townsend Equine Health Research Fund’s advisory board.Dr. Bell operates Elders Equine Veterinary Service in Winnipeg, Man., and the practice provides referral-level equine veterinary care to horses in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Northern Ontario. Elders Equine is a host hospital for WCVM’s DVM program and participates in training for senior veterinary students, veterinary interns and surgical residents. In addition, Elders Equine participates in the Red River College’s RVT teaching curriculum as host site for the equine anesthesia laboratory.
Dr. Bell’s research interests are primarily focused on surgery of the neck, back, spine and brain as well as interests in upper airway and orthopedic surgery.