This spring, a team of reproduction specialists at the WCVM will conduct ultrasonography and embryo transfer workshops in tandem from May 5-11, 2023.
The intention of these courses is to provide essential knowledge and hands-on experience for veterinary practitioners, research scientists and graduate students.
Participants may register for one or both of the workshops. Participants will spend more than 30 hours in the laboratory developing their skills in the following areas:
- embryo collection and transfer
- embryo evaluation and cryopreservation
Certificates will be provided for continuing education credits.
Instructors for 2023 workshops:
- March 31, 2023: Early-bird registration closes
- April 1, 2023: Registration fees increase by 20 per cent
- May 5-7, 2023: Three-day ultrasound workshop
- May 8, 2023: Addtional OPU practice day for registrants
- May 9-11, 2023: three-day embryo transfer workshop
May 5-7, 2023
The ultrasound workshop is a three-day course involving lectures and wet labs that cover the following:
- Day 1: Principles of ultrasonography and practical aspects of equipment operation and imaging
- Day 2: Imaging of the reproductive tract in large animals
- Day 3: Principles and practice of ovum pick-up (OPU) and in vitro fertilization (IVF)
Half of each day will be devoted to hands-on training with tissues and live animals (cattle, horses and alternate species).
Demonstrations will include ultrasound-guided aspiration techniques, fetal sex diagnosis, transvaginal oocyte collection (OPU) and Doppler imaging.
While the WCVM will provide ultrasound equipment, participants are free to bring and use their own equipment. We also encourage registrants to bring their own images to add to our discussions.
May 8, 2023
As part of the workshop, the training team will offer an additional OPU practice day for all registered ultrasonography and embryo transfer registrants.
Embryo Transfer Workshop
May 9-11, 2023
The embryo transfer workshop is a three-and-a-half day course involving lectures and wet labs covering the following topics/skills:
- approaches to manipulation of ovarian follicle wave dynamics for superovulation and estrus synchronization
- embryo collection, handling, freezing and transfer.
- techniques related to the direct transfer and vitrification of bovine embryos
Discussions will address regulatory issues, import/export, certification by the Canadian Embryo Transfer Association (CETA) and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), as well as an in-depth discussion of where OPU and IVF fit into embryo transfer practice.
Early-bird registration fees before Mar. 31, 2023
- Ultrasound workshop: C$2,500 plus GST
- Embryo transfer workshop: C$2,500 plus GST
- Both workshops: C$4,500 plus GST
Registration fees after March 31, 2023 (increased by 20 per cent)
- Ultrasound workshop: C$3,000 plus GST
- Embryo transfer workshiop: C$3,000 plus GST
- Both workshops: C$5,400 plus GST
Jackie Bahnmann, Co-ordinator, Continuing Education, WCVM
Tel: 306-966-7108 | Fax: 306-966-8747