- Equine metabolic syndrome (EMS), equine obesity
Born in Italy, Dr. Valentina Ragno completed her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) at the University of Turin in 2012 and a six-month theriogenology internship at Italy’s largest standardbred breeding farm before travelling to Ireland and Texas for rotating internships at private equine hospitals.
In 2016, Dr. Ragno began a combined Master of Science-residency program in large animal internal medicine, under the supervision of Dr. Julia Montgomery. As part of Ragno’s three-year program, she conducted research on equine metabolic syndrome (EMS).
After Dr. Ragno successfully defended her master’s thesis in the spring of 2019, she began a one-year term as an assistant professor of large animal internal medicine at the WCVM. Her role includes clinical activities in the WCVM’s Veterinary Medical Centre, including senior veterinary student and house officer supervision, as well as classroom and lab teaching for veterinary students in the DVM program.
- DVM, University of Turin, 2012
- MSc, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, 2019
- Chapuis RJJ, Ragno VM, Ariza CA, Movasseghi AR, Sayi S, Uehlinger FD, Montgomery JB. "Septic fibrinous pericarditis in four horses in Saskatchewan following an outbreak of forest tent caterpillars in 2017." Canadian Veterinary Journal. Accepted October 2019.
- Ragno VM, Zello GA, Klein CD, Montgomery JB. "From table to stable: a comparative review of selected aspects of human and equine metabolic syndrome." Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. 2019 Aug;79:131-138.
- Ragno VM, Uehlinger FD, Gabadage K, Movasseghi AR, Montgomery JB. "Investigation of a Yersinia enterocolitica outbreak in a commercial alpaca farm in Saskatchewan." Canadian Veterinary Journal. 2019 Aug;60(8):877-882.
- Ragno VM, Sereda NS, Dudko E, Michel DL, Zello GA, Robinson KA, Uehlinger FD, Montgomery JB. "A comparison of the stability of equine blood d-lactate in sodium fluoride and serum tubes." Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2018;32:2187.
- Ragno VM, Uehlinger FD, Robinson KA, Zello GA, Montgomery JB. "Investigation of novel biomarkers for early detection of equine metabolic syndrome." Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2018;32:2182
- Ragno V, Driessen B, Bertolotti L, Zarucco L. "Perianesthetic morbidity and mortality in the equine: a retrospective study." Proceedings of the 2013 ECVS Meeting.