Dr. Arata Matsuyama is a board-certified veterinary medical oncologist and cancer researcher at Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine.
He graduated from Hokkaido University in Sapporo, Japan. Following graduation, he completed a small animal rotating and surgery internships at Hokkaido University. He then moved to Canada to start a combined medical oncology residency/PhD program at the Ontario Veterinary College in Guelph, Ont.
Dr. Matsuyama completed his PhD degree in Biomedical Sciences from the University of Guelph in 2021. He is board certified with the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM - Medical Oncology) as well as the Asian College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (AiCVIM – Medical Oncology).
- DVM, Hokkaido, Sapporo, Japan, 2011
- PhD, University of Guelph, Ontario, 2021
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Medical Oncology), 2018
- Diplomate, Asian College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Medical Oncology), 2020
- Cancer diagnostic imaging and biomarker discovery
- Chemotherapy resistance in canine and feline cancer
- Clinical trials and translational canine cancer models
- Cancer biology and molecular medicine
- Matsuyama A, Wood GA, Speare R, Schott CR, Mutsaers AJ. Prognostic significance of the urokinase plasminogen activator system in tissue and serum of dogs with appendicular osteosarcoma. PLoS One. 2022;17(9):e0273811.
- Matsuyama A, Beeler-Marfisi J, Wood RD, Richardson D, Calvalido J, Mutsaers AJ, Bienzle D. Treatment of myeloid neoplasia with doxorubicin and cytarabine in 11 dogs. Vet Comp Oncol. 2022 (Online ahead of print).
- Kim S, Matsuyama A. Canine mast cell tumors: when to worry about aggressive behavior pre-surgically. Can Vet J. 2022 (accepted; in press).
- Pinard CJ, Hocker SE, Poon AC, Inkol JM, Matsuyama A, Wood RD, Wood GA, Woods JP, Mutsaers AJ. Evaluation of PD-1 and PD-L1 expression in canine urothelial carcinoma cell lines. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2022;243:110367.
- Poirier VJ, Matsuyama A, Darko J, Kim C, Fleck A. Clinical-dosimetric relationship between lacrimal gland dose and keratoconjunctivitis sicca in canine sinonasal tumors treated with radiation therapy. J Vet Intern Med. 2020;34(2):867-872.
- Poon AC, Matsuyama A, Mutsaers AJ. Recent and current clinical trials in canine appendicular osteosarcoma. Can Vet J. 2020;61(3):301-308.
- Matsuyama A, Bienzle D, Richardson D, Deravi N, Hwang MH, Darzentas N, Keller SM. Composite lymphoma of concurrent T zone lymphoma and large cell B cell lymphoma in a dog. BMC Vet Res. 2019;15(1):413.
- Chandrakumar SS, Zur Linden A, Owen M, Pemberton S, Pinard CL, Matsuyama A, Poirier VJ. Computed tomography measurements of intraocular structures of the feline eye. Vet Rec. 2019;184(21):651.
- Slater R, Oblak M, Wright T, Matsuyama A. Preserved limb function following subtotal iliopsoas muscle and femoral nerve resection in a dog with low grade intramuscular chondrosarcoma. Can Vet J. 2019;60(5):490-494.
- Matsuyama A, Schott CR, Wood GA, Richardson D, Woods JP, Mutsaers AJ. Evaluation of metronomic cyclophosphamide in dogs with appendicular osteosarcoma as maintenance therapy following amputation and carboplatin chemotherapy. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2018;252(11):1377-1383.
- Richardson D, Poirer VJ, Matsuyama A, Calvalido J. Correlation between body weight and mitoxantrone-associated neutropenia in dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2018;54(3):144-149.
- Matsuyama A, Woods JP, Mutsaers AJ. Evaluation of toxicity of a chronic alternate day metronomic cyclophosphamide chemotherapy protocol in dogs with naturally occurring cancer. Can Vet J. 2017;58(1):51-55.
- Matsuyama A, Poirier VJ, Mantovani F, Foster RA, Mutsaers AJ. Adjuvant doxorubicin with or without metronomic cyclophosphamide for canine splenic hemangiosarcoma. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2017;53(6):304-312.
- Kim C, Matsuyama A, Mutsaers AJ, Woods JP. Retrospective evaluation of toceranib (Palladia) treatment for canine metastatic appendicular osteosarcoma. Can Vet J. 2017;58(10):1059-1064.
- Matsuyama A, Takagi S, Hosoya K, Kagawa Y, Nakamura K, Deguchi T, Takiguchi M. Impact of surgical margins on survival of 37 dogs with massive hepatocellular carcinoma. N Z Vet J. 2017;65(5):227-231