- Veterinary radiation oncology, medical physics, oncologic imaging
After spending several years in companion animal practice, Dr. Mayer completed a 14-month radiation and medical oncology internship at a private referral centre in southern California. That experience led to a two-year radiation oncology residency at Colorado State University where Mayer focused on radiation biology and participated in cutting-edge research involving radiation field hyperthermia therapy and gene therapy.
In 2004, Mayer completed her Master of Radiological Health degree at CSU and became a board-certified radiation oncologist.
- DVM, Western College of Veterinary Medicine
- Internship, Radiation and Medical Oncology, All-Care Animal Referral Center, Fountain Valley, California
- Master of Science, Mammalian Radiobiology, Colorado State University
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Radiology (Radiation Oncology)
Dr. Mayer has played a lead role in developing WCVM's radiation oncology program. The program includes radiation therapy services as well as teaching for undergraduate and graduate students. It also involves collaborative research with other WCVM scientists and with human medicine researchers at the University of Saskatchewan's College of Medicine, at the Saskatoon Cancer Centre and at other oncology centres in North America.
- Mayer, MN, Lanovaz, JL, Smith, MJ, Sidhu, N, Waldner, CL, 2013. Measurement of Intrafractional Motion of the Thoracic Wall in Dogs Using a Real-Time Three-Dimensional Motion Tracking System. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 74(1): 11-6.
- Mayer, MN, Silver TI, Lowe CK, Anthony JM, 2013. Radiographic Lymphangiography in the Dog using Iodized Oil. Veterinary Comparative Oncology, 11(2): 151-161.
- Mayer, MN, Kraft, SL, Bucy, DS, Waldner, CL, Elliot, KM, Wiebe, S, 2012. Indirect Magnetic Resonance Lymphography of the Head and Neck of Dogs Using Gadofluorine M and a Conventional Gadolinium Contrast Agent: A Pilot Study. Canadian Veterinary Journal, 53(11): 1207-10.
- Pinard, CL, Mutsaers, AJ, Mayer, MN, Woods, JP, 2012. Retrospective and Review of Ocular Radiation Side Effects Following External-Beam Co-60 Radiation Therapy in 37 Dogs and 12 Cats. Canadian Veterinary Journal, 53(12): 1301-1307.
- Silver, TI, Lawson, JA, Mayer, MN, 2012. Sonographic Characteristics of Presumptively Normal Main Axillary and Superficial Cervical Lymph Nodes in Dogs. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 73(8): 1200-1206.
- Wobeser BK, Hill JE, Jackson ML, Kidney BA, Mayer, MN, Townsend HG, Allen AL, 2012. Localization of Bovine Papillomavirus in Equine Sarcoids and Inflammatory Skin Conditions of Horses using Laser Microdissection and Two Forms of DNA Amplication. Journal of Veterinary DiagnosticInvestigation, 24(1): 32-41.