- Veterinary medical oncology
Dr. Valerie MacDonald-Dickinson is an associate professor of veterinary medical oncology in the Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences.
Dr. MacDonald-Dickinson is on sabbatical leave from July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2017.
- BSc, University of Toronto, Trinity College
- DVM, University of PEI, Atlantic Veterinary College
- Residency, Medical Oncology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Oncology)
- Patient quality of life
- Human-animal bond
- Novel cancer therapy development
- Comparative oncology
Dr. MacDonald has started the first medical oncology service at the WCVM that includes clinical service, teaching for undergraduate and graduate students, and collaborative research at the University of Saskatchewan. She also works in conjunction with Dr. Monique Mayer in radiation oncology.
- Munasinghe, LI, Kidney, BA, MacDonald-Dickinson V, Larson VS, Jackson, ML, and Fernandez, NJ, 2015. Evaluation of Lymph Node Aspirates at Diagnosis and Relapse in Dogs with High-Grade Multicentric Lymphoma and Comparison with Survival Time. Veterinary Clinical Pathology, 44 (2): 310-319.
- Elliot, K, MacDonald, V, Linn, K, Simko, E, Misra, V 2014. Increase in transcripts for components of the unfolded protein response (UPR) in spontaneous canine tumours. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, 78(3): 161-167.
- Dickerson, EB, Marley, K, Edris, W, Tyner, JW, Schalk, V, MacDonald, V, Loriaux, M, Druker, BJ, and Helfand, SC, 2013. Imatinib and Dastinib Inhibit Hemangiosarcoma and Implicate PDGFR-B and Src in Tumor Growth. Translational Oncology, 6 (2): 158-168.
- Bergeron, T, Zhang, R, Elliot, K, Rapin, N, MacDonald, V, Linn, K, Simko, E and Misra, V, 2013. The Effect of Zhangfei on the Unfolded Protein Response and Growth of Cells Derived from Canine and Human Osteosarcomas. Veterinary and Comparative Oncology, 11(2):140-150.
- Thilikaratne DN, Mayer MN, MacDonald VS, Jackson ML, Trask, BR, and Kidney BA, 2010. "Clonality and Phenotyping of Canine Lymphomas During Remission Using PCR on Lymph Node Cytologic Smears and Peripheral Blood." Canadian Veterinary Journal, 51(1): 79-84.
Dr. MacDonald also writes Oncology Corner for the Canadian Veterinary Journal.